The Sherwood Park Rams are well known for their Bantam program here in Sherwood Park but did you know that we offer football programs for boys and girls just starting out in football?
Since 2017 we’ve been growing our Atom Football program along with our Peewee program. Atom Football is for kids 8 – 10 years of age.
The focus of the program is to introduce kids to the sport in a safe and educational manor while having fun on and off the field. The Atom Rams practice field is shared with the Peewee Rams at Bethel Sports Field behind the Bethel Lutheran Church located at 298 Bethel Drive in Sherwood Park.
Atom Football is a great way to learn the sport of football. The game has been adjusted to 6-on-6 rather than the traditional Canadian Football’s 12-on-12 as outlined in Football Canada’s Long-Term Athlete Development Model(LTAD). The field is approx 25% the size of a standard Canadian Football field allowing for lots of action and coaching. Coaches are on the field during play to help make adjustments and keep players headed in the right direction, sometimes literally.
Here are some quick facts about the Atom Rams program
- Practices are 90 minutes long and 2 to 3 times per week.
- Games are 60 minutes long and played on the weekend.
- Games will take place close to Sherwood Park either at Emerald Hills, Fort Saskatchewan, St. Albert or in North East Edmonton.
- Games see an average of 24 plays on offence and 24 plays on defense.
- There are 6 players on the field – A Center, Two Tight Ends, One Quarterback, One Running Back and a Receiver.
- Running and passing plays
- Atom Football is played with Full Equipment and is Full Contact, just like the big kids.
Each year the Rams will register multiple teams with the CDMFA to ensure that each player gets a good introduction to the sport with ample practice and play time.
If you are interested in learning more about our Atom Program there’s still time to get involved in the 2019 Season.